Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Convenient or Crazy?

I just visited the "Chronicles of a Babywise Mom" blog for the first time in maybe a year or so. I actually did find some of her information helpful when trying to get the whole sleeping thing down, but I also got really stressed out by her perfection, her attention to detail, her lists, and her "perfect" answer to every possible parenting question you could ever imagine. I learned that the trick is to read her blog with a grain of salt and only take the information you find helpful. If you sit there comparing yourself to her, you will stress out! (And if we actually think we can control everything about our children's lives, we are sorely mistaken... but that, my friends, is for another post).

Well, I am currently on a search for some good discipline books/blogs/information. I just want to make sure that we are consistent and have a plan and aren't always changing it up on Grace and confusing her when it comes to discipline. I honestly think that is what gets me the most distraught during our little episodes... I want to make sure I'm doing the "right" thing to discipline her. But then I also I know that there basically is no right thing. Every book will tell you something different, but I just want to read as much as possible and form my own personal convictions about what I'm doing.

So... along my search I came across Chronicles of a Babywise Mom. I found this as one of her most recent posts:

As I'm reading it, I have a mixture of emotions. At first, I'm thinking that it's awesome. I want to start making my list and planning things out to perfection each day of my life for forever.

Then I'm thinking, wait, maybe this is THE most insane thing I've ever read in my life. Did you just tell me to plan my day out in 30 minute intervals? And this is so I can be "flexible" with it? I'm just confused now.

I am sure this idea gets some of you Type A people all excited and giddy and ready to go color coordinate your life in 30 minute intervals.

And then you Type B people are just turned off by the ridiculousness of it all, not even understanding the need for planning more than an hour or two in advance for anything, ever.

Honestly, I think at this point in my life I fall somewhere in between. I used to be pretty Type B and still definitely have some of those B personality traits. I am proud of the fact that I now usually know what is coming up in the week ahead (thanks only to my Cozi app, but still, I know!) :) But becoming a mom has shifted me a little more towards Type A, which I think was probably a good thing for me! It is honestly easier and more enjoyable having some structure to our day (and good for Grace too)! I've always liked structure, but until Grace I wasn't very good at implementing it upon myself. :)

But if I'm being honest, I think the reason her plan/prison schedule is kind of unappealing to me is because I would literally go completely crazy if we got off track. Like, my whole day would be thrown off if I had this laminated, color-coded schedule on the fridge and then we didn't stick to it. ("What!?! We're supposed to be having structured playtime and we're still eating lunch!! Everyone onto structured playtime NOW!!") So maybe that's why I'm turned off by it? Maybe I am more Type A than I think?

So, for now I guess I'll hold my judgment on her "plan," mainly because, well, I don't have multiple children. What if I just shift a little more towards my Type A side with each child? I could be color coding and laminating like a crazy person in a few years... ya never know!

So, I'm curious... what are your initial thoughts on her "plan"... convenient or crazy? And are you typically Type A or Type B?

(Yes, participation required!) :)

2 comments:

  1. First of all, sweet Kim, I love your perspective on life and parenting. We can all learn so much from each other and I think that is a gift the Lord gives us...and then Satan tries to change it to comparison. Ouch! You are a blessing and I am loving this "Ever Since Grace" blog.

    Here is my opinion (not that it counts for much): I am a total planner but, unless something drastic happens, I will absolutely NEVER EVER make a schedule that outlines every 30 minutes of my day. I agree that structure and routine are wonderful for children, but that is WAY to extreme for me. Like you said, it would completely stress me out and make me feel "off" for the rest of the day if we deviated from the laminated outline. In addition to a routine & structure, I think flexibility is a healthy thing to teach our children as well. It is certainly something that you have to be exposed to so that you don't freak out when everything doesn't go exactly as planned. You know me - I have never done that, ever! :) Being somewhat flexible allows the Lord to use our time for His purpose, even when it is not laminated and posted on the fridge.

    Even though her "extreme" wouldn't work for me I think it is something I can learn from. She is certainly proactive when thinking about her children and their daily routines. I hope I can find a way that works for me when another baby joins the Armstrong family some day...

    I didn't mean to write a novel. Sorry! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I'm glad blogger let you post, Sally... I've had a couple people tell me it wouldn't let them comment for some reason! :))

    But I love your perspective, and I totally agree! Especially about how being flexible allows the Lord to use our time for HIS purpose. Very true and something I definitely need to remember more often! :)

    ReplyDelete